Monday, February 4, 2008

Sonja's adoption of Dan and I

We frequently read to Max and Sonja. They absolutely love books! Dan and I both try to read different books to the kids even though Sonja would be happy to hear the same ones over and over and over again.

I recently started reading "Mommy Far, Mommy Near" to them and Sonja always listens intently.
The other day before their nap, as I was reading it to them and Sonja says "Mommy, Maxie adopted in China?"
I said "Yes Sonja. You and Max were both adopted in China."
She sat and listened quietly again. As I continued to read, Sonja says "Mommy, I have a China Mommy?".
I told her that she has a "China Mommy and me too!" "Two Mommy's!"
She says "Maxie has a China Mommy too?"
I said "Yes, Just like you!"

As I continued to read, she sat very still and listened and looked at the pictures. There is a part that says something like;
You are my baby,
We are a family,
I love you forever,
I adopt you now
(not exactly sure about the words)
Anyways, just like the book, Sonja wants me to "adopt" her. I say the words just like they are printed in the book and of course she wants me to do it to Max too. This was repeated a few times with happy hugs after each "adoption".

They both went down for their naps and shortly after they woke, Dan came home. Sonja and Max, as usual, run to greet him at the door with hugs, kisses and "I miss you Daddy". As Dan unloads his armful of kids and takes his coat and shoes off, he procedes to the livingroom to sit on the couch. As our day is discussed with Daddy, Sonja says, " I "adoped Daddy! I adopt YOU!"
Dan, doesn't know what she's talking about, so I explain, to which Dan just looks at me with that "Isn't that the sweetest!" look. Then Sonja says "I adopt YOU Mommy!"

My heart melts all over again.

No comments: