Sunday, March 9, 2008

China News

While we were in China adopting Sonja, there was an incident that made Dan and I uneasy. We were getting into the elevator from our hotel room floor and another "gentleman" got into the elevator and was videorecording doing so, pointed his videocam at us and onto Sonja, who was in her stroller, only a couple of feet away from us! He particularly focused on Dan and myself. The man spoke a foreign language (not Chinese, or English and appeared to be from the middle east) and did so while recording us (which BTW we were just standing there, exciting stuff huh?). He was dressed in a nice but casual suit and was well groomed. I felt VERY uneasy and couldn't wait to get out of the elevator. When the elevator finally arrived at the ground floor, the man got out and proceeded to record us along with the exits, escalators, staff of the hotel, not your typical things to video record as a tourist. He was just, plain and simple, acting all weirdo and it just creeped us out! Well, after watching him briefly we continued on our way to the diningroom to eat, a little freaked out, but still hungry. I went up to get Sonja and myself some food while Dan sat at the table minding her. On my return to the table, Dan quietly told me to "look, there's that guy again". He said that he (the video man) had been watching him (Dan ) and Sonja. I don't remember if Dan said he (the weirdo dude) was recording him. I looked to see that the man was now sitting with two other men, one of which appeared to be Chinese. Dan went to get some food for himself and we quickly ate and left. We never saw the man after that but we still talk about that day and still think that man was up to no good.
Fast forward.....

Today I was watching the news (no surprise, the news junkie that I am ;-) and saw this on the news;
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336250,00.html

I know that no one is immune from the terrorists but they better watch themselves if China gets their dander up. Looks like they will be doing some "kickin' butt and takin' names" according to the report. Wouldn't want to be them (the terrorists)!
I would love to see an American/Chinese alliance as far as hunting down terrorists. There wouldn't be a single terrorist left.

Rewind back.....

On our arrival home with Sonja, I was troubled by this incident and was concerned because our brother and sister-in-law were supposed to be traveling soon ( in little more than a month) to adopt their second beautiful little girl. I was afraid for their safety. I was also concerned for our friends....no....more like family members who are Chinese and we are bonded to for life. After consulting with family and friends I decided maybe I should say something to someone. I would never be able to live with myself if something were to happen to our family members, or anyone for that matter, and I could have prevented it. So I did. Two days after I reported it to officials there was a travel advisory for Americans traveling to China, in particular Guangzhou and Beijing. The travel advisory said that Americans should keep a low profile etc etc. Coincidence? Who knows......

We returned in 2007 to adopt our son and felt very safe there. On arrival in Guangzhou, on the second leg of our son's adoption journey, we stayed at a hotel across the street from the hotel where the above incident during Sonja's adoption took place. We casually asked about the hotel, and in a round about way "was wondering why we didn't stay there". We were told the hotel was not accepting adoptive families due to construction at the hotel for the babies health and safety.
We always felt we were in excellent hands while in China BOTH times. Our facilitator, along with his assistant were military trained (Jack being a one time member of the Chinese special forces) and are THE BEST! They are our "Chinese family" and we love them dearly.

I hope whoever did this gets punished fully but not until after they find out who their associates are, and are interrogated for every shred of information. This, I believe the Chinese will do.
Unfortunely, when our government tries to protect it's citizens and to do so, have to resort to interrigation tactics that some do not approve of, the bleeding hearts cry "Oh they are torturing the poor terrorists!" Oh Please....why don't they feel for the people these terrorists victimized, tortured and killed?!? The terrorists don't care if they kill babies, elderly, infirm or other defenseless and innocent beings. They will stop at nothing.

I think it's about time we wake up and smell the coffee.

No comments: