
Max turned 3 on the 29th! We celebrated with a very quiet family dinner just Dan, Sonja, Max and myself. Even though it was only us, the kids were just as happy as if we had a thousand people here. He opened a few presents and we had cake and ice cream and the usual party stuff. He's having a bigger birthday party Saturday, Halloween theme.

All ready for some Halloween fun and goodies!!!
I'm sure you've noticed that Max is not wearing a costume. Well... he did/does have one,
but he refused to wear it when he saw Sonja getting dressed up as a kitty cat. He,
of course, wanted to dress up like a kitty cat too! I think it was the make up application and the one on one time Sonja was getting with mommy (which is a BIG thing with Max these days since Sonja has been going to school). I opted to put some make up on him that was my (lame) attempt at making a turtle mouth, just in case he changed his mind. Yes... he was going to be a turtle, a costume that
he picked out! Oh well, he had a great time and they both came home with a lot of candy (way too much in my opinion).
We did the usual Halloween row (a street in town that gets really into it and is the most popular route on Halloween) and then off to the relatives house. Sonja crawled right up onto my lap and fell a sleep at grandma's house. Max on the other hand was still going right up until Dan placed him in bed. A nice night for them.

This a is picture of one of the neighborhood children that frequently comes to the house. She is such a cutie! The kids just love her and her sister. As you can see, it was a make up session (even Maxie ended up with sparkles on his face)!

Ol' Beary. He celebrated his nine month birthday on the fifteenth! He's still growing like a weed. What a big lovable oaf!

Now....
hheeeerrreee'sss Johnny!!!!! This is our new pet...Johnny, Johnny Mantis! You're probably wondering what in the heck are they doing with a Preying Mantis?! Well, one day last week, Maxie came down in the morning with his blanket (as usual). All of a sudden he says "pider!" Just then, I noticed our cat snowball zoning in on something on Max's blanket. When I first saw it, I thought it was a spider, but thank god i didn't freak out (I hate spiders)! I noticed he was probably a baby and quickly got him out to the kitchen away from the cat. I put him in the plant because it was cold out and he wouldn't survive. The next day. I couldn't find him so I thought "Oh well, what can you do". Later on that day, I saw him on the floor of the kitchen. I was so happy he was o.k.! I put him back up and started researching them. They are meat eaters so putting him in the plant wasn't going to help him at all, except for camouflage. I found out that you can feed them cat food.....Yes, cat food!!! So I proceeded to feed him some food on the end of a paperclip and mist him with water. He's doing great and is now in a bug keeper safe and sound. Oh...for all of you that are saying "Oh my God! That's against the law! You can get fined for that!" Well, no. It's not against the law. As a matter of fact, they are being sold in kids toy catalogs now, only you get an egg sack...all two hundred little hatchlings when they come out (which they will then cannibalize each other). They are said to make great pets for kids, are hardy, easy care but unfortunately, only live only 10 to 14 months tops.

Our little guy is getting much bigger (they grow really quickly) and is no longer walking like a hatchling. He now holds his front legs just like the big boys do, in the praying position. It's kind of like how some Chinese still keep crickets. I will be looking into the fancier cricket homes if he continues to do well. I'll keep you updated on it!
Until next time.......
No comments:
Post a Comment