Thursday, January 17, 2008

Today (Jan 17th), I met with Max's treatment coordinator and speech therapist to discuss how Max is doing and what changes are needed to help Max progress further.
Max has been getting therapy at home for less than 4 months. In that time, his scoring has increased 6 months overall!!! His receptive language had increased 7 months and his expressive 5 months.

Currently, Max is only getting therapy once a week. We discussed an increase to 3 times a week and hopefully, that will be implemented very soon. I'm hoping that the increase in therapy will help Max to progress at a faster rate than having it once a week. Let's hope that's the case although I'm pleased with his progress thus far!

In other news......

Max, as you all know is two. He decided a few months ago that he was going to take full advantage of the whole "terrible two's" thing. He loves Sonja but loves to agitate her even more! Yesterday, they had a bath after craft time, due to Max being covered with paint. In the bathtub, Max kept grabbing things from Sonja's hand. Every time she had something, he would take it. Sonja kept her cool pretty well for a while, but after several items were taken, Sonja, in frustration says "Maxie needs to go back to China!" This coming from the same girl who was so happy to see her little brother after his surgery. I told her that I wish she wouldn't say those things. I told her that I would cry very hard if Max or she, were to go back to China. After a few seconds of silence, Sonja said "I think I cry too Mommy" I thought that was pretty introspective for a 3 year old.

Since I'm on the subject......
The other night, we were all at the dinner table. In the background, the T.V. was playing in the other room and it was audible in the kitchen. Dora was on and was, of course, using and saying Spanish words. Dan asked Sonja and Max "How do you say Hello in Spanish?" After a few seconds, Sonja responds "Ola"! Then I asked Sonja "Well, How do you say goodbye in Spanish Sonja?" She thought for a few seconds again then said "How do I know. I Chinese!" (O.K. ya little smart Alec.).... I guess she told me! I'm not sure why she said that as she does know how to say goodbye in Spanish. She'll often add "Muchachos"(sp?) at the end, I guess to jazz it up a little. I can't believe some of the things that come out of her mouth! Where she comes up with some of it is beyond me.

Oh.....I just remembered this..... not quite insightful, but pretty hilarious! First a little background....
Sonja and Max have quite a few toys. Well, to be honest, they have too many toys (as most kids in America do these days)! I have tried to maintain some sense of organization but it is challenging at times. I keep little zipper bags from pillowcases, sheets etc and use them for smaller toys that may go together such as doll clothing, furniture etc. Sonja was given two sets of cabbage patch minis and the pet care center from Aunt Becky and Uncle Dean, which Sonja loves. Well, to keep it all together, I put them all in a zipper bag and they just barely fit in but they must be arranged just right. After Sonja was finished playing with them and started to play with a different toy, I told her she must put her other toy away. She tried and tried and tried but just couldn't quite get them all in. Finally, when she thought she couldn't do it she brought it all over to me and said "Mommy can you help me?" I said I would and proceeded to put all of the items in the bag and zip it up. Sonja then took the bag from my hand, wrapped her arms around my neck and said "Mommy, You're a genius!!" Wow!!!! Obviously, it doesn't take much to impress her! She may think that now, but in a couple of short years she'll think I don't know a thing! I guess I'll savor this time while I'm still "a genius" (what a kid).

No comments: