Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A day at the five springs park, Lanzhou and pics

Hey folks! I hope everyone is well and happy! We are doing great and Max is adjusting very well. He is pretty easy going and LOVES to play with the stacking blocks. Here are some pictures and an update on the happenings of yesterday and today. I hope you like following our journey and also hope it brings a smile to your face! We love you and miss you. I was so nice to see and talk with Sonja and everyone this am on video cam. It does a homesick heart good!

XOXOXO







It's official! He's OURS!!!!!!!!





















Our sleepy boy.







I just love his sweet smile! His whole face lights up!






















































The entrance to the "Five Springs Temple".













Steed explained to us that this is an ancient painting of the temple area.














Some school children waiting to enter the park.















Max kickin' back and enjoying the ride.


































Steed walking away as Tina Miles and I burn incense in respect of the culture and tradition of the temple. This large container was smoldering with ashes from incense sticks. The ash pile inside was approximately a foot from the top! That's alot of incense sticks.






































There are many perched precariously on the mountain side. Here is a shot of some of them.




















Steed, our local guide, took a family photo in front of the temple. Right after this photo, the old buddist monk for this temple approached Max and started speaking to him. As he spoke, he put an amulet around Max's neck. The amulet looks old and well worn and has a small round jade ball above the medal. People started to gather around and talk. It was quite moving and I started to cry. I looked at Dan and his eyes were tearing up too.





















It's kind of strange and surreal at times. We both feel like we are with a celebrity but more of like a mystical one for the lack of a better term. I think because of Max's cleft the people here find him fascinating, possibly magical or something. People come over to us and want their children to touch Max. For instance, these elderly Hui (Chinese Muslim) women came over with these two sweet little boys. One woman nodded her head at Dan and I, and I nodded back (not knowing what else to do). She then prodded the boys to touch Max. One of the boys did so happily. The second boy needed further prompting, but did so. As the boys touched Max, the woman was saying something to them. The first boy kept touching Max and Max was enjoying the whole thing. Other people have just brought their children over to look at Max. I'm glad Max is young. I think an older child may find this type of attention distressing.





















The back of the amulet with script written in Chinese pinyin (or ancient characters). The script is very small.






















The front of the amulet. It appears to be Guan Yin, a buddist goddess.









































































Here is a picture of the Budda of the past. There are usually three Budda's a a temple like this in the area where people worship. Past, present and future.

























Some ladies enjoying the day people watching.


























Dan and a very tired Max.



























Part of the "Five Springs Park" is a zoo. I thought I would post a few pictures of some of them. This bear above is quite unusual. As you can probably see, it has fur on the side of it's neck that fans out.




























Some of you animal lovers may be upset at the pictures of the conditions that the animals live in. Please keep in mind that many people here have very meeger lifestyles and their living conditions may be no better than that which these animals live in. I believe there are some people that would love to live in the shelters which house these animals.


























































































































































A neat looking bird at the zoo.

































Aiyana peeking over the seat. She is very quick in reaction and it is difficult to get a shot of her. Aiyana is very smart and doesn't miss a trick. Kinda like a little girl I know very well!


































Steve, Tina and Aiyana Miles, our travel mates! What a nice family.








































































One of the typical shops seen on the main streets.



















































































































No comments: