Wednesday, April 25, 2007

"Hey Mom, is there anything to eat?"

Just a few pics of Max man.
Max showing off his skills.





" Did you say food? Where?"



I love my big sister Sonja!







Muuuwwaaahh! Kissing a picture of sister Sonja!





Max enjoying a little Haggen Daus chocolate chocolate cookie ice cream Yummmmmm. I think it may be his first experience with ice cream due to his reaction to his first bite. He LOVED it!!


Max slightly distressed and very disappointed because the ice cream is gone.
The following day we met in the lobby in the late morning. Today the children will be blessed by a buddist monk.


Steve Miles and his beautiful daughter Aiyana.












Our happy, smiley little guy.














Our local guide Jack, who is also Franks nephew, playing with Max.

Some interesting enclosed statues encased in the entryway of the temple.



Above is a close up of the very large Budda at the temple where the blessing of the children will occur. Below is some pictures taken by Frank during the ritual blessing of the children. The Lama shown above would hit a piece of wood and chant in sort of a song-like way. This particular Lama was much younger than the Lama that blessed Sonja on our visit here. Also of note was the ringing of a cell phone i the robe of the Lama during the ceremony. I guess it is true that EVERYONE has a cell phone:)








Our travel group sans shoes in front of the statue of Budda and Guan Yin












Dan, Max (with his little Budda belly showing), and myself just after the blessing of the children.



A young cat that seems to live at the temple. It has a nice cushy pillow to sleep on and he probably helps keep the place clean from rodents and other pests. He or she was very friendly and sweet.





Two young women preparing their incense before praying. The incense sticks are then placed in the sensor. The prayers (and sometimes wishes) are said to be carried to the heavens by the smoke of the incense.




A statue of Confusious. Confusious believed that education and altruism was most important for society. Something that is sorely lacking in todays culture.





If you click on this picture you can see the statue of the founder of this particular temple, The Six Banyun Trees Temple.There is a large sensor in front of this enclosure for burning incense and paying respect, not seen here.



The Six Banyun Tree pagoda in front of the area that houses the statue of the founder of this temple.


Frank and Max standing beside a Chinese wall hanging that says "Fu" or good luck. It just happens to be Max's Chinese name. This was at a restaurant that served dumplings that were amazing! I loved them as did Dan and Max. When your host serves you dumplings in China it signifies they would like you to return and you are welcomed. We are going to return to China in the future but with both Max and Sonja. We will see Frank then but we will miss him when we leave. He is a great man and has helped us form our family, which we will be forever grateful.

Max just loves him too!



Takin' a stroll.
The Miles family in front of the memorial.


Dan, Max and I in front of the Dr. Sun Memorial ( I hope I remembered correctly). He helped make China what it is today. The building behind us has architecture that is both modern and traditionally Chinese, which is to represent Dr Sun's ideology.
Some pics Dan took on our outing.


The trunk of a Banyan tree.
Banyan trees that have all intermingled with one another. Both the large and the small. There are many poems and stories about lovers and life mates meeting under the banyun trees. I believe it may be due to the intermingling that the banyun trees are so famous for.
Happy daddy!
Getting some shut-eye before the swearing in at the U.S. consulate.

A cute little guy dressed in traditional clothes. I believe the women with him were his Grandma and mother. They were very curious about Max's lip and asked questions (in Chinese) concerning his future surgery, which Frank helped translate. She seemed satisfied that his lip will be repaired.
The Citic Building which I believe Frank said it is the tallest building in China. This picture was taken from quite a distance.
A little baby bundled up like the Michelin Man which is common in China. I'm sure he had 3 or 4 layers of clothes. It was about 74-76 degrees F with pretty high humidity.
This building had a waterfall coming from the roof and spilling over the side wall. The force of the water was pretty strong.

Workers preparing the park for "National Day" by planting flowers etc.

For you fishing fanatics, check this worm out! You could use this worm to fish all day!! This picture below is to give you an idea of approximately how big it is. The foot is our travel mate Tina Miles' which is roughly a size 8 I'm guessing.


The reflecting pool in front of the Citic building.
The walking path.
Max taking a little snooze while we take a walk waiting for our consulate appointment to near. We are unable to take pictures of the swearing in at the consulate but I can describe the process.

After we went through security, we entered a large room with many other families adopting children (mostly special needs at this time). We then are called to go up to a window, similar to what you may see at a bank. Our passports are checked and we then return to our seats.

They have some toys in there for the children to play with. After a short while a gentleman comes out and explains what is about to occur. He then reads us the oath that we are adopting a child to become a U.S. citizen etc. As a group we say I do and it's official!! He is truly ours!!! I started to cry but I wasn't the only one. Although some may think it is no big deal, to us it is. It is the final O.K. that Max is ours!!!




I saw this hat and I couldn't resist. It looks so cute on Max even though it maybe a little hokey. Here's a few pic with Max wearing it.
Max having a look at my Speak E Z Chinese book. If he could talk I think he could teach me Chinese himself.



























































No comments: